Sunday, November 7, 2010

My students tell all

At Nongda I teach four different classes, for a total of seven times a week. I teach one class of second-year undergraduate English majors once a week, and three classes of first-year graduate students twice a week. For homework on the second day of class I assigned a short writing assignment to help give me a sense of what my graduate students really wanted to work on in my English class. I asked them the wide-open question, "What do you want to study most in this class?" I explained acceptable answers ranged from pronunciation, to American movies, to cooking, to writing, and so on.

Upon collecting the homework I realized that although on the first day a lot of my students seemed either indifferent or utterly terrified by my class, they were in fact very excited about the opportunity to study with a foreign teacher and had set some real goals and ambitions. I should note though, that the class is required to graduate, and for many (probably most) passing the College English Test (CET-6) exam is of paramount importance. A good score on this test can often translate directly into finding a good job post-graduation.  

Nonetheless, in addition to passing the English competency test, I discovered my students also had some other interesting, as well as amusing, objectives. Below I've typed up a selection of their responses along with the corresponding student's pictures. Many or their responses really struck a chord with me, both because they made me snicker a bit, and because they really lit a fire under my butt to teach these students well so that they can fully benefit from the rare opportunity to study with a native speaker.

Simon:
It was my first day at university of go to speak English class. I walked into the No.1 building where I was going to study speak English classroom.

At first class, I choice my first English name: Simon. It's not only my first English name, but also the first step of my study speak English class. "I do make a good student" I thought.

After we start introduce myself. I have a good friend, he came from Shandong province. He was study at Shandong Agriculture university. His name is 任帅. So I say "Nice to meet you."

I looked at my speak English teacher. She was thin, short, and white. And she wore a series prettyful clothes, which were very fashionable.

The most important day I do believe in all my study English life is the one on which my English teacher, 舒莉珊,came to teach we English of speak.  

David:
Glad to Alexandra Sterman teacher in class. I hope the lesson in the oral practice. Because the oral is very important. I also want to know the foreign culture. Because this is an international society.

Isaac:
I think the most thing I most want to learn is spoken English. Because linking up with a foreigner is always a dream for me. Beside spoken English I also want to master the skill of comprehension. If I master this skill, some unChinese computer game won't be a hinder.

James:
Like most people, I'd like to take this opportunity to exercise my English skills. For example, speaking, listening. In addition, also hope to make use of this English class to expand my vocabulary. And you know, I'm an NBA fans. Watching the basketball game, the live commentary I'm hard to understand. So it's my purpose now the most urgent.

Anthony:
Fristly, in this class, I'd like to improve my spoken-English. For the reason that I'm in favor of communicating with foreigners much more fluently.

In addition, I hope that we can learn some culture and convention of the foreign countries. Then, myself-cultivation will be plentiful and the friendship will be harmonious.

The last but not the least, I need some help from my teacher about my English learning. I'm eager to improve the way of learning English. May I pass the exam of CET-6 next time.

Kelly:
I am interested in slang and American culture in this English class. Slang is very interesting which uses simple words to show difficult meaning. And America is a united country, including a lot of different culture which comes from different countries. But I prefer slang to American culture.

Harry:
I want to know the age of a man or woman to marry in America at law. Are the university students able to marry? I want to know the story of America, yet.

Cheryl:
I would like to learn teacher's country and culture. Because I know little about the USA. If I can learn more culture and customs about English speaking country, I may understand the materials easily. Consequently, I may obtain a good scores. Those are the reasons.

Besides, I want to learn something about life. Because I can't connect English with life. I couldn't use English as a language in life. So I'd like teacher talk with us in English about daylife.

Dandelion:
Dear Alexandra,
I'm happy to see you here. And I appreciate your help with my Spoken English.

In our English class, I'd like to know something about American culture and life. It can be the American custom, traditional festivals, the principles of social life, and so on. I think it is a great way to extend my horizon. And on the other hand, it is helpful for me if I go to America someday. I also want to improve my listening and pronunciation in the class. So we may communicate with each other better, You can recommend some English musics, films, and TV shows. I really like the Big Bang Theory.

Thank you for being our teacher. I hope we can be good friends. Best wishes for you!

Yours sincerely,
Dandelion

2 comments: