Of course, with such a high profile even the most remote semblance of privacy is lost. Much of the time my first (and only reaction) to this treatment is to laugh and be embarrassed. However, sometimes I get overwhelmed, frustrated, or even furious. Generally though, being a superstar (what our students seemed to have learned to call all famous people...) turns being so different into something special, sometimes even sought after, instead of something freakish and unwanted. Thus, the great majority of the time I am grateful for this treatment.
This topic brings to mind three events of the past few weeks. For unknown reasons, one particular week in early November saw my celebrity status in Taigu rise to unforeseen heights. I will dish out these stories in three parts due to their length.
PART 1: It began with what I thought to be a quick afternoon trip to the store. Of course, this assumption in itself showcases my ignorance, because in my experience in China, and perhaps especially Taigu, it's never just a quick trip to the store.
| 家家利 Jiajiali: The aforementioned store |
Within two minutes of her following me around the store and asking me questions she decided we would be best friends. 你交一个朋友吧!"How about you make a friend!" What else could I say? 可以. "Sure." After giving her my phone number (what was I thinking!?), she preceded to link arm and arm with me (not at all unusual upon first meeting Chinese young women), insisted on carrying my basket for me (SO embarrassing), and helped me pick out the rest of the things I needed (also embarrassing). I learned quickly that she was a 25 year old Taigu native, married with a young son, who used to be a tour guide for a travel company. She now worked for a beauty product company at one of the supermarket's counters and apparently had very flexible hours. It seemed as though it was this flexibility that allowed her to lackadaisically stroll the store arm in arm with a random foreigner instead of manning her post.
Once finished with my shopping she offered to take me to the bus stop, which I refused three times to no avail. There comes a time when you just have to give in and let people do embarrassingly polite things for you or else you are actually being rude. Also, I mentioned that she was a Taigu local, which means that my normally pretty high listening comprehension rate was crippled by her thick Taigu accent. I explained that I first needed to buy cat food then return to campus at which point she decided it would be best if she took me home herself. Conveniently, it seemed it was just about time to leave work... hmm... She then disappeared to apparently retrieve some kind of vehicle. I realized with horror that if she came back with a bicycle there was a good chance I would fall off the back onto Taigu's main unpaved, rough, dusty, bumpy road.. and probably die. At the time I had never successfully perched on the back of a bicycle (see the below picture for an example of the ease at which people do this death defying feat). I held my breath and was overjoyed to see her return with a bright pink electric bike with a tiny tiny tiny seat on the back... for me!
She graciously took me to buy cat food and then dropped me off at the main gate of the campus. The ride was harrowing, speeding over ditches, through dirt and dust clouds, barely dodging oncoming traffic, all while frantically clutching the large bags of stuff I had just purchased, and trying not to tumble off the bike. However, in the end I absolutely loved it, and her kindness and generosity far outshone her inappropriate forwardness. She did not in fact want to kidnap me (the thought may have crossed my mind...), but instead wanted to learn more about me and experience something different and new. Isn't this why I've been plopped down in rural China? Also, I can't say I'm not wanting for more friends... why not. However, a couple days later she gave me a call and I awkwardly told her I was busy (I was!). I didn't actually get her number and my phone has no caller id so now the fate of our friendship rests firmly in her hands. It's been almost a month and she has not called again and I have not seen her at the store. I am still unsure whether or not this is my loss.
My computer no longer wants to type in Chinese. :(. But tai ke ai le!
ReplyDeletewhat an absolutely lovely ending you write. so soft. so thoughtful. so thought provoking.
ReplyDeleteI'm finally caught up on your adventures and they are unbelievable. So exciting and challenging. It was great seeing you (albeit from around the world) on Thanksgiving. Your posts are very real, so much alive that I can hear you speaking Chinese. Keep them coming.
ReplyDelete